1. I don’t live in the Northern Territory. Can I enter the NT Song of the Year Awards?
No ‐ only artists residing in the NT are eligible to enter. If you have relocated, you must have lived in the NT until 30 June 2016. Please contact MusicNT to discuss your situation if you have any concerns.
2. How many songs can I enter?
You can enter as many songs as you like.
3. Can I enter the same song in different categories?
Yes. An individual song may be entered into multiple categories, but it will incur an entry fee for each category. Please Note: The song will only be eligible as a finalist in one category. This will be decided by the highest number of votes.
4. What are the categories that I can enter my songs in to?
5. I don’t know which category best suits my song. Can you choose for me?
No, we can’t help you make that decision, so please choose your category carefully.
6. Does it matter if I have entered my song in the NT Song of the Year before?
No. But if your song was a finalist in any of the past NT Song of the Year Awards. it is not eligible.
7. I want to enter songs I have written into the NT Song of the Year Awards but I can’t sing. Can I get someone else to sing/perform them?
Yes, you can.
8. Is there an age limit?
No, there is no age limit. However, only people aged 25 and under can enter the Youth category.
9. Can I enter lyrics only?
No. We currently do not have a lyrics only category.
10. Who judges the songs?
A panel of over 50 national music industry professionals assesses the entries according to categories. See judges here (link will open soon)
11. How are the songs judged?
The songs in the genre categories are NOT judged on production values. Each song is judged on innovation, lyrical content, song architecture, expression and musicianship. All genre entries will be judged anonymously.
12. Why do I have to pay an entry fee?
MusicNT is a not for profit organisation. We rely on sponsorship and entry fees allow us to run the NT Song of the Year Awards. Your entry fee contributes to the whole process.
13. How much does it cost to enter the NT Song of the Year Awards?
$11 (up to 3 songs). Additional songs will be $11 each . This prices includes GST.
14. When is the closing date?
Entries for the NT Song of the Year awards for 2017 close 5pm Fri 2 June.
15. Will I get my entry returned at the end of the competition?
16. Can I enter instrumental songs?
Yes, you can enter instrumental songs in all categories. In the case of physical entries please make this clear on your entry form.
17. Can I get feedback on my song?
No, MusicNT is currently not able to offer a feedback service for NT Song of the Year Awards.
18. How many finalists will be chosen in each category?
There are four finalists in each category, except for the Overall Song category in which there are ten (the winner from each category).
19. When are the finalists notified?
All finalists will be notified via email in June, 2017. They will be asked to provide a photo and bio for promotional use and will be considered for media opportunities relating to the event.
20. When will the finalists be announced?
Finalists will be announced in June, 2017 via the NT Song of the Year Awards website and MusicNT social media.
21. When are the winners announced?
At the NT Song of the Year Awards night on Sat 8 Jul 2017.
22. How can I attend the Awards Night?
All nominee finalists will be invited. Further to that limited tickets will be available to the public. Check the website for details.
23. What do I get if I win?
Each category will win a suite of prizes and professional development opportunities including the prestige of an NT Song of the Year title. Additionally a package of promotional activities will be undertaken on behalf of the winning artists.