Through the Law Society Public Purposes Trust, MusicNT and in partnership with Media Arts Lawyers, Legal Line offers MusicNT members a dedicated service with to access legal advice.
Legal Line offers MusicNT members access to legal advice on issues involving you, your music and your rights.
Rights creators will encounter agreements, contracts, terms and conditions whether in respect of performing live, recording, touring, online music and merchandise sales.
Appropriate legal advice can greatly assist rights creators in understanding and protecting their rights and ensure that any agreements they enter into with respect to such rights are on the best possible terms.
Understanding the rights you create and control and the ways in which to protect and obtain benefit from these rights is fundamental to all artists, musicians and other rights creators”
Stephen King - Media Arts Lawyers
Legal advice provided through Legal Line can cover matters relating to recording, publishing, synchronisation, touring and artwork and video creation agreements and contracts.
In order to qualify for a thirty-minute consultation session, MusicNT members must satisfy one of the following criteria.
• Member is the owner/controller of intellectual property rights (master recordings/musical compositions/merchandise rights etc.) and requires advice on the exploitation of such intellectual property rights;
• Member is a member of an existing band and requires advice with respect to formalising band agreement with other band members and/or structure of band entity;
• Member has an existing or potential distribution agreement in place and requires advice with respect to such agreement;
• Member songwriters are members of APRA/AMCOS and all works are registered and requires advice with respect to potential exploitation of musical works;
• Member has master rights that are available for sale via physical/digital and online streaming services and requires advice with respect to potential agreement for exploitation of such rights;
• Member has an existing or potential recording, licence or publishing agreement in place and requires advice with respect to such agreement;
• Member has an existing or potential management or agency agreement in place and requires advice with respect to such agreement;
• Member has an existing or potential live performance and touring agreement in place and requires advice with respect to such agreement;
• Member artist is a recipient of a funding grant and requires advice on use of funding for creation of copyrights and contracts to secure rights in such copyrights;
• Member has an existing or potential sponsorship or merchandising agreement in place and requires advice with respect to such agreement;
• Member requires general advice on performer, producer and composer rights, agreements and releases.
• All consultation discourse to remain confidential.
• An eligible applicant can only have 1 referral per calendar year.
• Consultation can be via email, phone or video conference, which ever is most appropriate for each case.
• Each consultation is the equivalent of 0.5 hr case consultation with 0.5 hr of evaluation and response.
• If further advice or communication is required, the applicant must cover any additional costs incurred.
• Member applies for a consultation through MusicNT online form outlining the broad details and subject matter to be discussed.
• MusicNT assess the application with the criteria checklist.
• MusicNT send Media Arts Lawyers application.
• Upon approval, successful applicant is notified.
• Non-approved applicants are sent information on alternative options.
If you meet the above criteria complete the online form below. Please call MusicNT if you have any questions: 08 89 811 995
Thanks to the generous support of the Law Society Public Purposes Trust and Media Arts Lawyers for enabling MusicNT members to access advice on legal issues in music.